Last night rocked.
I started out with a ten top (at The Italian Restaurant we have to have two servers on parties of 8 or more), and even though I hate big tops, it was cool because they DIDN'T order unlimited pasta, and we each made $20 bucks.
At the same time, I had a 6 top that had their meal comped because the mom is a nurse and helped the manager out with some medical crisis in the lobby. Their check was well over $100, so I was nervous they wouldn't have any cash for a tip. They left me $20.
Then I took a nine top by myself (not allowed but we were sneaky), it was a bachelorette party so they got plenty of booze which hiked the bill up. The gratuity was $40 and they left me an extra ten.
At the same time I had a 5 top that got a couple unlimited pastas but no refills. They left me $15.
Between these and a smattering of other smaller tips (including a $5 on $70 from a couple who made out and talked about how their future children will celebrate Christmas the WHOLE TIME), I made a nice 140 before tipping out. This is very good. This is the kind of night that makes you work all the shitty nights in between hoping to come across one.
But then there's Sunday. Sunday shitty Sunday (insert U2 melody here).
Servers hate working Sundays. It's busy because everyone that doesn't normally go out comes out on Sunday. After church. Hallelujah. You would think that church goers might be good tippers, having just come from some no-doubt enlightening and uplifting sermon about some random whatever (I obviously don't go to church, I don't know what they do there). But rather than spread the love of Christ with a halfway decent tip, they bring in their brat children, order the cheapest thing, run your ass off and then tip MAYBE 10% if you're lucky.
So I show up for my lovely Sunday morning with no expectations. I get there when we open at 11, and sit around for about 45 minutes waiting for church to let out. One of my first tables is a five top. "Hi, how are you doing today, can I get you something to drink?"
"Water" the mother immediately replies
"And for everyone else?"
"Water all around" she informs me. Never mind her husband or her teenage children who are perfectly capable of ordering their own drinks, she wants to make sure they don't get anything that's not free.
Later, when it's time to order, they all get unlimited pasta (how shocking). When the first girl orders her pasta and sauce, I ask "any meatballs or sausage?" (this is another $1.95)
"No." Mom's on it, once again.
So these people suck down water like they don't get any at home, order a few refills of everything, and leave me $5 on a $70 check (that's a 7% tip to help you with the math).
So, while last night kicked ass and made me feel great, today, once again, sucked. But then again, if they were all great days, I would have no reason to write this blog.
On another note, I would like to publicly announce my boycott of Kanye West for the bullshit he pulled on Taylor swift at the VMA's. He is an uber douche bag and will rot in hell.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeletedon't you know that christians tithe, rather than tip? 10% is good fer the lord, but not for you
ReplyDelete