This scenario occurred the first week I was doing to go.
Phone Rings.
"Thank you for calling the Italian Restaurant this is waitress, how can I help you?"
"Yes, I would like to place an order to go for a lunch chicken alfredo, split, with a salad and extra alfredo on the side"
"okay, that will be ready in about 15 minutes"
Fifteen minutes later, lady shows up, all smiles and oh-so-polite to pick up her order, I tell her the total, take her card to go run it and leave her with the order. When I return with her credit slip to be signed, she looks pissed.
"Excuse me, this isn't right, I NEVER get charged for alfredo"
Sidenote: at the Italian Restaurant, if you want extra sauce on the side, we have to charge you for a boat of sauce, which is like 3.50 for 4 ounces. Ridiculous, yes, but they don't give away shit there.
Anywho, I grab a manager because I don't know what she was and wasn't charged for, the manager discerns that the girl who did to go before (who I replaced when she was fired for going apeshit), was giving this lady free alfredo on the side. She takes it off her check and lets her know that in the future she will be charged. Crisis averted.
Or so I thought.
A few weeks later I get a call for the same order. Lunch chicken alfredo split with salad, extra alfredo on the side. The woman's name is something weird like Chris Anne so I remember it's her. Whatever, she knows she will be charged for the alfredo, the manager told her.
She shows up, a little overly-cheerful as usual, and when I hand her her bill, once again her face drops, attitude does a 180 and she claims "hold on, I NEVER get charged for alfredo." I'm thinking, is this bitch for real? I was here last time, we TOLD you that you would be charged. But I just get the manager, standard Italian Restaurant practice not to try and handle upset guests yourself (thank god cause me and confrontation don't mix). The same thing happens, manager explains we charge for sauce on the side, but I will take it off this time. Pacified, she returns to her creepy, cheery self.
She does this AGAIN, one more time, but this time the manager working is one of the ones who doesn't like people who complain to try and get free shit, so he straight up tells her "ma'am, I know this has happened at least once or twice before and I know you are aware we charge for extra sauce, and I am not taking it off your bill, okay?" She was pissed as hell, payed her bill and huffed out.
The next time she orders, I am on to her. After she tells me what she wants, I say "So a lunch chicken alfredo, split, with a salad, and a boat of alfredo. The alfredo on the side is 3.50 is that okay?"
"Oh sure, that's fine!"
Ha HA! Now you can't pretend you don't know!
And indeed, she doesn't. But while I am running her card, she examines her food. When I return, she angrily exclaims "There isn't any sauce on this pasta!!"
Now, this lady is really freaky and Jekyl and Hide-like about this shit. She is literally smiling as sweetly as can be imagined one second and raging the next.
"Oh, there is sauce on it, but it does tend to dry out pretty quickly, let me go have them put some more on it, okay?"
"Yes because there isn't ANY on it now!"
This woman continued to order every week for a few months. I finally figured out that I had to make sure she knew about the alfredo charge AND have the kitchen put a ridiculous amount of sauce on her entrees every time or she would go apeshit. Obviously, she knew exactly what she was doing. Unless she has some rare form of memory loss, but my money is on option one. There are a lot of people that do this at restaurants (I'll tell you the story of the crazy asain man another time), and they honestly think that they can come back and pull the same shit every time and get free stuff. Of course, since the OG is a big corporate restaurant, they will give you free stuff all the time for the slightest greivances, but at some point they will start to recognize you and they will call you on your shit.
A lot of times people complain about the service instead of the food to try and get free things. They say their waiter was rude or slow or whatever, knowing their meal will be comped. I wish these people realized that people have actually been fired because people make shit up about them to try and get free food. Of course, this class of people don't give a shit. And they, too, will burn in hell with the bad tippers. Hopefully I don't see them there.
so pretty much when they want extra sauce on the side you don't have to charge them.. you grab them a ramikan and thats that! because the chicken alfredo is always dry.. they only way you charge them is if they want it for their bread sticks! so thats why the other togo specialist wasn't charging them.. they were giving them less alfredo then you were.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete