It's about 3 in the afternoon, I'm closing a lunch shift. It's pretty quiet in the dining room. That is until a toddler starts screaming one of those high pitched tea kettle "I know exactly what I'm doing and it's pissing you off" screams. Even people working on the other side of the restaurant heard it. The people sitting with the child, one of them presumably his mother, just look at him and make no attempt to stop him or quiet him down. I go into the kitchen, comment with other servers about how rude it is when people just let their kids scream, and I mean scream, not cry, and disturb everyone and don't take them outside or at least try to make them stop. I go back out to check on my table, a two top of people in their late 60's working on entrees who happen to be seated right next to exorcist child.
"How's everything folks?"
"Is there anything you can do about the noise in here?" (referring to afore mentioned screaming demon)
Immediately I recall another incident where someone called later to complain that a child cried his way through her meal and ruined it for her. So I know that I can't tell mother of the year at table 21 to shut her kid up.
"I know, I 'm so sorry, I can't really tell them to move or make him quiet, all I can really do is move you to another table farther away."
"Well I looked over there and pointed to my ears to let the mother know that the noise was hurting them and she said 'F You.'"
"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry, would you like to move to another table?"
"no, but next time we come in here we will ask to be seated away from any children."
"Well you can always sit in the cafe, children aren't allowed in there."
They payed and left, tipped decently. I was glad they didn't take it out on my, since there really wasn't anything I could do. But really, how rude?! You let your child scream at the top of their lungs and disturb everyone in the restaurant, and then tell an old lady to fuck off when she points it out to you? Some people!
I remember this day. It was my table that had the kid and 3 other ladies. That kid was extremely loud, and the other ladies at the table seemed to think it was kinda funny. I couldn't believe it when you told me what one of them said to that elderly lady. Actually, yes I could. They were pretty much white trash.
ReplyDelete