Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I never work before drink!

Ah the IR. Never a shortage of crazies and douchebags, crackheads and drunks. You may think I'm talking about the guests, but today I am talking about my wonderful co-workers. We all know that working in the restaurant industry drives people to drink and do drugs, but usually they keep their recreational activities at home, or at least at a level low enough that no one is aware that they are on anything, they just appear to be having an exceptionally good shift.

Which is totally fine with me, I just have an issue with people walking around so high they look like zombies and making us all look like idiots because they are falling asleep in the side station. Last night, however, the issue was that the ugly side of "chemical alteration" was all up in my business while I was trying to train someone. Let me start from the start...

This week I am training a host to be a To Go specialist, which is cool. I like the break from the mundane everyday grind, and I actually get paid pretty well to do it. Last night we were closing, and while the restaurant was busy but we weren't, I was having her expo so she could get to know what all the dishes look like.

One of our bitter older gentleman coworkers came in to be the breaker. This guy is generally kind of short with everyone, to the point, never smiles, hates his job so he just does it and leaves. But sometimes, he acts kind of "funny." He is all smiley, a little glassy eyed, slurs his speech a bit. One might even surmise that he has been drinking. Okay, everyone can tell that he gets sauced before coming to work at least once a week. Usually just when he is breaker, probably because he figures it doesn't really matter. So he arrives, walks up to me, gets his red ass watery eyes all up in my face and asks "dju wanna brek?" Number one indicator that he is all kinds of fucked up is that I am wearing a black shirt, obviously doing to go, and the breaker doesn't break to go people. Last time he came in drunk he did the same thing, then came and asked me again about 2 minutes later. So anyway, after I remind him that he doesn't break me, he starts poking my upper arm really hard while starting  blankly at it.
"Uh, OW? Can you stop that?"
"Yur a whiney liddle thing aren't cha?"
Another of our coworkers is walking by him just looking tired like everyone always does and he looks at her and says
"You look like hell runover there sunshine"
Fucking great, he is drunk and he's being especially ornery, this will be interesting. He walks around with a shit-eating grin on his face, running food and bothering people. Starts asking the line cooks if their nipples ever get sore...? I go into the side station to get some coffee and he follows me.
"You know, I'm surprised you're not more fit. When you get to be thirty you gotta try harder to get fit. I'd poke your leg but I'd probably get into trouble"
At this point I am just trying to ignore him
"When I moved here from bellingham I was rock solid from all the rock climbing and hiking and whatnot everyone does there"
"Yeah, well I'm not really into all that"
"well...how old are you?"
I ignore him
"I'm gonna go away just tell me real fast"
"I'm 25"
"okay"
he goes back into the alley.
A minute later I also go back to the alley and start expo-ing with my trainee, going a little slower than usual because I am taking time to show her each dish and explain what is in it. He's standing next to me for some goddamn reason, hmming and hawing.
"goddamnit I'm losing my patience here"
"What exactly is it that you are waiting for? Do you need something?"
"Uh, I dunno, God I guess"
"Well you think you could go wait somewhere else?"
At this point I am getting really fucking annoyed because not only is he being rude and obnoxious but he is literally following me and trying to think of rude obnoxious things to say. He even follows me with a tray when the person who's table it is wanted to take it just so he can harass me. We get back to the window in the alley.
"Man, I don't know why I thought you were 30, I guess it must be the lines under the eyes"
"Thanks a lot, that's really nice of you to point that out to me, that's really great."
Now I am just raving mad, I am sick of his shit, and though I am not one to "tattle" on people, I am also not one to sit there and let some drunk asshole tell me that I am out of shape and I look old. So I grab crazy GM and tell her
"Dude is drunk or something, he's being a jerk, saying rude things to everyone and she is literally following me around and saying mean things to me, he needs to go. NOW."
"Okay, okay I'll talk to him"
I go back to expo and she immediately asks to talk to him in the office. They are in there for like 5 minutes then he come out, clocks out and goes. GM comes to me and says she's really sorry that that happened and that he apparently thought he was being funny and fun and trying to entertain people, and that she tried not to tell him who talked to her, but he pretty much knew it was me.
Great.
I'm just hoping he will realize he was being an ass cause he was drunk and just let it go. Out in the world our friends or acquaintances are drunk fuckers all the time and we just let it slide. But when you are at work and you have to involve a manager it's a very different story. Time goes on, the restaurant slows down and we start checking servers out. The phone rings, so my trainee answers it.
"oh, okay, hold on a second"
"It's drunk dude!"
"What?"
"He wants to talk to you!"

Oh god. This is the last thing I want. I am a a very non-confrontational person (though I may not come off that way) and I would really rather just let it go and never mention it again. I really really don't want to talk to him. So my trainee says "you want me to talk to him and pretend to be you?" and I'm thinking, okay, that is the lamest 8th grade thing ever, but I really don't want to talk to him and he probably wont remember it anyway so whatever "Go ahead, just don't really say anything" She picks back up, pretends to be me, and just says "uh huh, uh huh" a few times, then "okay, we'll I appreciate your apologizing and I will just see you next time we work together. Bye" She tells me he said he was really sorry he invaded my space and that he was just joking and he thought I was someone he could joke around with like he does with the guys, but he was wrong and he's sorry.

The thing is that I AM someone you can joke around with. I love pitching people shit, making fun of them in jest, and I can take it as much as I can dish it out. But telling a woman that she is fat and looks old is NOT playful joking around, that's just mean and something he only did because he was fucking drunk. He would NEVER have said any of those things to me if he weren't three sheets to the wind.

A while later he called back again, this time to talk to crazy GM. As far as I was aware, she sent him home because he was being mean, not because he was drunk, because of course GM has no idea how to tell when someone is drunk, and she is so naive it's painful. That actually really pissed me off because as far as I was concerned, the issue was his inebriation, and his behavior was just a symptom of that. But that's how she rolls. Anyway, at the end of the night I asked her what he called back for and she told me that he called to tell her he apologized to me which she had specifically told him not to do, but rather to just let it go. She also told me at that time that when she pulled him into the office to send him home that she did mention that alcohol issue, and told him that other times people have complained about him being rude and obnoxious and have said that they thought he was drunk, so that she would now be "watching" him. We all know what that means. Absolutely nothing.

What kind of pisses me off more than anything is that he gets drunk, drives to work, then drives home. Drunk driving enrages me like none other. He is just an ultra douche.

And I have to work with him tonight. I really really hope he just acts like nothing happens and doesn't talk to me. I have a feeling I wont be so lucky.

4 comments:

  1. Poor Mal... it could be worse- you could work with my sister :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. god, when i first started reading this, i thought you were talking about me. (after all, i have been known to enjoy a libation or two) But then, i realized i havent worked in days, and yes, while i know i come in at times smelling like hooch, i have never come in drunk. Yeah, we all like to drink/drug/whatever, but even I can say that shit is outta line. honestlyly, i would rather deal with Miss Nodding-out-while-running-food-girl than that. best of luck for yer shift, waitress!!! and have a drink for me after, its my birthday today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps-
    that last comment was from me, Whiskey-A-gogo

    ReplyDelete
  4. ....WOW. That read like an episode of the British Office. Except not funny at all. Christ all-fucking-mighty, Waitress, I'm sorry you had to go through that. For me, the personal space invasion is the most disturbing aspect.. a man who doesn't respect a woman's personal space probably does more invasive things than poking them with his finger.

    ReplyDelete